Thursday, January 06, 2005

First Post of the New Year

In December, San Francisco looks nothing like the postcards. Winter in Northern California consists of icy rain and bone-chilling wind. Unfortunately, most of the time I couldn’t even see the Golden Gate bridge. But that didn’t stop me from having a great time with my brother and my best friend. Even though my friend was raised and now lives in Palo Alto, there were many things in San Francisco that she had never done. For example, she had never ridden a cablecar! So we did, all the way from Powell and Market to Fisherman’s Wharf. Here’s a view from the back of the car:




We also went to the Exploratorium, which is a hands-on science museum for kids and their families. They have a neat thing there called the Tactile Dome, which is billed as “an interactive excursion through total darkness, where your sense of touch becomes your only guide!” The darkness is indeed total, but I found that my eyes were still open the entire time. Without spoiling it, the Dome experience is one that requires an open mind and not a little physical flexibility, which I found I was lacking. Still, it was a unique experience and one that I recommend to kids – big and small.

And of course, I went to a knitting shop! San Francisco has a wealth of great knitting shops, and we chose to visit Imagiknit, located in the Mission Dolores district. This store was huge! Just huge. There were floor-to-ceiling bins filled with yarn, and lots of tables and sitting space too. The staff were young hipsters and very helpful. So…what did I buy, you ask? Just this:




Yes, that’s right. Just one lonely skein of Koigu Kersti. I would have bought more, but there was only one skein left. I fell in love with this colorway, and I plan to get enough to make a Clapotis. If the dye lots don’t match (which is a good possibility), this little skein will become some nice baby booties.

Anyway, San Francisco was great. It was so good to see my brother and to meet his fiancée! It will be cool to have a sister-in-law, as I do not have any sisters. I foresee much bonding ahead.

So, now it’s 2005. It seems like everyone has got some sort of resolution, so I’ll join in:
  1. I will use up most (if not all) of my stash. Partial balls don’t count.

  2. I will try some sort of two-color knitting, hopefully fair isle or intarsia but at the very least, stripes.

  3. I will exercise 2-3 times per week.

  4. I will visit my family more.

That’s all I can come up with for now. This post is long enough already! Happy Thursday, everyone!

No comments: