Friday, September 16, 2005

The Power of Blogging

Power of Blogging Experience #1: I was catching up on some Bloglines reading yesterday when I noticed that Lynette had posted about a brand-new downtown Chicago knitting store. She said she and Monica would be visiting at lunchtime, so I headed down too. I recognized both Lynette and Monica from their blog! So great to meet them in person.

When we got there, another knitblogger was already there (hi, Gail!).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Within minutes, there were another 6 or 8 people in the store, many of whom had read Lynette's post!

POB Experience #2: Last night was Knit In Public night, hosted by the incomparable Bonne Marie. It was a lovely evening of knitting, fun conversation, and - of course, excellent sweet treats from Letizia's! I never would have known about this great group if not for Chicago-area bloggers.

It's really amazing how an online community can quickly become an in-person community as well. Another reason why I am so glad I started blogging!

BTW - I think this new store is going to be great. Loopy Yarns has the entire Lorna's Laces line! She also has Lane Borgesia, Lang, Cascade, Berroco, Elsebeth Lavold, and will soon have Plymouth. She wants people to hang out in the store, and even (gasp) have coffee and snacks while they knit! Yes, I think this is going to be a fun place...

Happy knitting, everyone! Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

The new yarn store sounds like a really comfortable place. It's nice when people put the effort in to make a store welcoming.

It sounds like knitting and blogging will help you settle in to your new hometown. I hope you meet some great people through them!

Anonymous said...

I went to Loopy Yarn last Monday. It's a great store & too close for me to walk to before my class starts. I'm looking forward to the grand opening celebration this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dana!
I enjoy reading your blog, as always. What is Knit it Public night and how does it work?

Monica
from Savory