
This was a great sweater to knit. I love the way the neck comes together with the front, back and shoulders - it's basically a boatneck with a cowl added on. The cable is simple yet effective. And the sleeves can be folded up or down, as you prefer.
My mods were - okay, I just went looking for the pattern and can't find it. I made the body longer by about three inches. I knit the smallest size, and my gauge was slightly tighter - so it was just the right width. I used Cascade Ecological Wool, which was a great sub - very soft and also economical! I think I paid about $15 for each skein, and I used 2 (they are enormous, over 450 yds each). And for you dyers out there, Cascade Ecological is undyed, so you can have whatever color Marilyn you want.
I also made one other item, which is not that noteworthy from a knitting standpoint, but I think it's beautiful so I'm going to show you. This is the Purl scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. They have you pick a shade of Manos, then a heavy mohair yarn and a thin mohair yarn to get a chunky scarf. I used Cascade Pastaza in black, Colinette Mohair in Tapis (red, black with flashes of royal blue), and Prism Dover, which is sort of a net ribbon, in a red/black combo. Here's the scarf and a closeup of the fringe, where you can see all the different fibers.


Anyway, nothing too exciting as I said but I just love the way the fibers came together. The Cascade and Colinette were leftovers from a poncho I made, and I bought the Prism Dover with no idea what I'd use it for, and somehow they all came together in a cool scarf. Fun!


8 comments:
Oooo...love the sweater! Great job! The scarf is cool, too - I like the combination of textures.
Excellent job on the sweater! And I've always loved the purl scarf. Your's is gorgeous.
Your sweater is beautiful. It is the nicest Simply Marilyn I have seen. I love the scarf, too. Both of these are projects I plan to make in the future.
Oooh, I LOVE that Simply Marilyn. It looks so wearable. Great job!
i love the scarf! even simple things can make a statement!
your sweater looks great also. i've been meaning to try out some of the eco wool when i get some time!
Ooh, the Marilyn looks amazing! Simple and classic, especially in white. Not to mention, environmentally friendly!
I hope you finish your holiday knitting.
I knit the smallest size, and my gauge was slightly tighter - so it was just the right width.
How come that never happens to me? When I'm slightly off-gauge, I always get football sweaters or little doll-clothes. Guess you have really got the gauge estimate thing down! Anyway, it looks GORGEOUS. And though the scarf pics are lovely, they don't do justice for the actual scarf.
(This is Elizabeth; my blogger identity is disconnected from my other blog. Glad to have your URL finally!)
That sweater is to die for. Good job!
Post a Comment