Thursday, April 19, 2007

Yarn Choices

The Ott-Lite is really helpful for seeing the true color of yarn or fabric. The other day I mentioned that I had bought two kinds of yarn in a pool green/blue color. The second batch finally arrived in the mail, and I was trying to decide which to use for my project. I decided to put them under the Ott-Lite and photograph them to see which color I liked best. Here's what I saw:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The yarn on the top clearly has more blue in it, while the yarn on the bottom is much more green. In natural light - especially under a camera's flash - their shades look almost identical (even though the Blue Sky is darker). I'm going with the Blue Sky...and debating whether to return the Cameo Cotton from Ram Wools. Is it too seafoam-y? Should I keep it for baby gifts?

I love the Ott-Lite! I'm going to use it to choose/match/sort colors from now on. I'm also planning to use it this weekend while I'm sewing - so hopefully I will have pictures of my new garment soon.

I'm already focused on the weekend because hubby is going out of town today and won't be back until Sunday night. What's on the agenda for me? Knitting, sewing (and hopefully finishing my first solo garment) a trip to the spa...which is plenty to keep me busy. But after the sad events at V. Tech, it seemed harder to let him leave. It just seems like a time for holding your loved ones close.

Take good care, everybody!

4 comments:

sweetfigs said...

I think both colors flatter you, and that you shouldn't write off the sea foam. Maybe you could get gauge for a Chickami.

I hope you have a splendid solo weekend. I love it when my guy goes out of town, but it sure is nice when he gets back.

Adrienne said...

You can' tgo wrong with either choice, and OTT lights are WONDERFUL!!! But that is a totally different story!

AmyArtisan said...

I'm sure it will be very interesting to see the colors literally in a new light from now on. :) Both colors are great looking. Enjoy your solo weekend - it looks like we'll have pretty spring-y weather here in the city. :)

carlita dee said...

I'm totally buying an Ott Light 'cause of you. Anything that helps me see yarn more clearly must come home with me.

I actually like the Cameo Cotton better. I think it looks more alive. But if it's more of a blue shade you're looking for, the Blue Sky is it. Definitely keep the Cameo, at least for baby gifts if you don't want to wear it.