Monday, July 23, 2007

Technique

I appreciate everyone's comments about colors, especially the idea that it's the combinations of colors that end up looking dated, rather than a specific color on its own. I really love vibrant colors, but it's the whole weeks-of-knitting thing that gives me pause about using them for a sweater. I think I'll hang onto to the magenta yarn and let it marinate in the stash until the weather is colder. I think that the strong color will look more 'right' as my color palette starts to darken for fall and winter.

In the meantime, I have been working on baby gifts, which I am electing not to show here so that no surprises are ruined. I've also knit three hats - but they are black, so no photos there. My best photo op is the Eyelet Cardi I posted about oh so long ago! I finally got up the nerve to set in the sleeve. Here's a pic:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I'm pretty proud of myself! I think this might be my first grownup-sized set-in sleeve. I've made a decent number of sweaters, but they are all raglan-shouldered. I used the slip-stitch crochet seam taught to me by this fine knittress. First I seamed the back of the sleeve and then pinned it into the armhole. This may be a pretty standard method, but I was so surprised at how easy it was. The pinning part is genius. I hope I can repeat my success on the other sleeve.

Anyway, that's about all for me. Have to get some shut-eye. I'm looking forward to this weekend, though. I'm headed to Madison, WI and Lakeside Fibers! Wee!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Have fun in Madison.

Anonymous said...

your sleeve looks perfect! i used that technique from ms. BM on a cardigan i knit last year. in fact, i seamed the entire sweater using a crochet hook and i LOVED it.

have a great time at the yarn shop. it looks like fun!

monica said...

I've always wanted to go to Lakeside Fibers. I hope it was wonderful.

The sleeve seam is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your sleeve looks great! Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wanna learn! That is one beautiful seam. Have a great trip -- hope to catch up soon.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Nicely done, Dana! I find the crochet method a rather convenient technique to have in your needlework arsenal. Enjoy your Mad City weekend!