Monday, January 24, 2005

My first hat

Here is a photo of my first-ever hat. It turned out pretty well, I think:




But as I said, seaming hats is not something I plan to ever waste my time on. So, since I’ve got some nice yarn earmarked for some hats, I’ll be looking for some easy in the round hat patterns.

In other news, I have gotten two responses to my wool inquiry! I am very excited that these companies are taking my request seriously.

Jo Sharp Classic Wool is cruelty-free; it is made from Border Leicester fleece, and this breed is not mulesed. They plan to issue a statement soon about the situation with their Silkroad line, which they are currently researching.

Green Mountain Spinnery is a certified organic farm. This means they follow the national organic regulations regarding treatment of livestock and livestock handling. Their first priority in purchasing is to buy locally from farms in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Quebec, and neighboring states. They do not buy wool from Australia or New Zealand. From what I understand, mulesing is really only an Australian practice; so, I think Green Mountain Spinnery is a good choice.

So far so good. But I already see that, in asking companies to guarantee that their wool products are cruelty-free, it would be good to have some sort of standard by which to judge them. This is getting very complicated! I will have to think some more about how to do this in a way that will mean something to consumers.

Thanks to Lolly’s great preview, I snagged a copy of the newest Vogue Knitting. So I’m off to do a little bedtime reading!

Happy knitting, everyone!

2 comments:

littleboxes said...

Nice hat!

Samantha said...

That hat looks so nice and warm!! I love making hats, and have made a few very simple in-the-round patterns. Today I made a hat for my daughter and - ooops - it's too small, so I'm giving it to my sister's friend's baby girl. *lol* Also, I love the lucky sweater! The lace is just lovely. Do you mind if I add your blog to my daily blog reads? I quite enjoy reading here. :)