On to the knitting. I did indeed go to Rosie’s Yarn Cellar… but I’d rather tell you about Sophie’s Yarns in Antique Row. It was a huge, lovely store. Hardwood floors, nice displays with tons of shop samples (not many swatches, though), and a big table in the back for sitting and knitting. They even had fresh flowers!

You can see the owner and two staff members in this photo. They look like they’re having fun!

The shop had lots of handpaints (Interlacements, Schaefer, Cherry Tree Hill), as well as Rowan, Manos, Dale, Colinette, and tons of novelties. I bought some Schaefer Little Lola in a happy color for baby gifts. But the best items were in the back – there was a section of luxury natural fiber yarn: Joseph Gellar Camelhair/wool and Prime Alpaca, Grignasco (I think it was a cashmere blend), and some wonderfully soft Frog Tree Alpaca. Everything was in beautiful natural colors…yum. Anyway, I highly recommend this spacious, lovely, well-stocked store if you’re in Philly.
Other than that, I have a partially finished poncho pic for you:

Apologies for the pajama pants and odd facial expression. I still need to block it and add the 5" fringe my friend really wants. Once I finish, it will be time to dive back into my two UFO's.
Happy knitting, everyone!


4 comments:
Hey Dana, it's Martha aka SSK Martha...now I know why you've been so absent; you've been on the road! Love the Sophie's pic. That store is responsible for my current knitting obsession. I walked in there two years ago, spent a gazillion dollars on yarn, and have never looked back. I've recommended the store to many and was lucky enough to be back in Philly a couple months ago and broke down and bought some Colinette since I "needed" a $75 scarf for me, just me. Maybe we should get a road trip to there some Saturday. Hey, we could take the train and knit there/back and go to Sophie's. A topic for later discussion at Savory or Starbuck's or wherever else...
Thanks for the yarn shop review. That place sounds fantastic.
Hi there,
I found your site through the knitting bloggers webring and I'm glad I did. I like your site and will be visiting often.
Take care, girlie
Nik
peace...good to see a fellow DC area crafty person online. I know we are out there...just cam across your blog...much light
Post a Comment