Friday, May 27, 2005

Great New Magazine

As much as I try to buy books at independent book stores, sometimes I find that for knitting stuff, nothing beats a well-stocked mega-bookstore. I was at B & N the other night, and found this new knitting magazine called Simply Knitting. I was blown away by this magazine! A few highlights:


  • It has a really fun, inviting layout. They incorporate retro and modern graphics and styles.

  • Some of the patterns are from books or pattern collections, which is a great way to preview before you buy the latest DB or Rowan book.

  • They seem to have a lot of contests to win free stuff. That might just be because this is one of the first (if not the first) issue, but hopefully they will continue this. Unfortunately, the contests are for the UK only! Maybe that will change.

  • They show patterns in yarns at a variety of price points – Sirdar, Debbie Bliss, Patons and Rowan were featured in this issue.

A few pics for you to groove on:









There were several patterns in this issue made with various kinds of fur yarn – a few too many for my taste. But the other really nice patterns and general feel of the magazine made up for it. The only other downside is the price: it was $8.99! And it’s a whopping US$83 to subscribe. Oh well!

Still, after paging through this magazine, I feel the knitting slump lifting! In fact, I have been knitting! A disembodied pose, of my arm with two sleeves:



Have a happy holiday weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

littleboxes said...

Looks like a great magazine. We're glad to see that your knitting mojo is returning!

General Ginger said...

Thanks for letting us know. I'll have to look for that magazine this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I too just found that magazine and thought it to be wonderful! But, I agree $83 per year is a lot of money.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to keep a lookout for that magazine, thanks for the review!
Glad to hear your Lucky is coming along - it will be done before you know it!

Anonymous said...

I like that magazine, too. I found it a month or two ago, and although I already had the Debbie Bliss pattern they featured, I thought it would be nice if I ever made it to have a magazine copy rather than lugging around Special Knits. I also like how they use different text colors for different sizes. I'm planning on trying that bulky purse one of these days, I thought it was really cute.