Today, rather than knitting news, I have un-knitting news:

Yes, that's the famed Rowan Smooch. I started this sweater pre-blog, about two years ago. It was my first attempt at using a chart, and although it took me about seven tries to get the yarnovers in the right place, i finally finished the lace motif at the bottom of the two pieces. But where I went wrong, really wrong, was the eyelets around the neckline. A curse on Rowan and their instructions made for smarter people! After all their complicated directions for the eyelets on one side of the neck, they simply say "reverse shapings." This was easier said than done, considering that you want the eyelets to match. I never could get a reverse set of yos and k2tog to look right.
But, I'm really proud of myself for ripping this out. It has been staring at me for TWO LONG YEARS, and I finally admitted to myself that 1) it was really frustrating for me, 2) I learned how to read a chart by doing this project, even if I didn't finish it, and 3) it's not my style anyway.
Ever taken the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory? I am (at last testing) an ENTP. Way off the charts on E (extrovert) and on T (thinking). Where I get into trouble in knitting is with the "P," which stands for Perceiving. Perceiving means that you prefer a flexible, spontaneous way of life and may be more process-oriented. The alternative to P is J, for Judging. Judging means that you prefer a planned, orderly, structured way of life and are often results-oriented.
So, what this means is that I have trouble finishing things. But on the positive side, it also means that I am learning as I go and that the result for me is really the process.
Being process-oriented sure doesn't do much for your yarn stash! Too much yarn...must finish projects... More on that later.
Happy knitting, everyone!


3 comments:
Oh, the curse of the reverse shaping. I hate it when a pattern says that.
Good job in ripping it out.
Good for you to undo the sweater! I just love doing that to a project that is not working.. its so refreshing.
Glad you're settling in. Frogging an old project just shows that you're feeling comfortable.
I wonder if there are a disproportionate number of ENTPs amongst knit bloggers, or knitters in general? I'm one too, hmm?
Post a Comment