Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Summer’s Last Gasp

Chicago is SO much cooler in the summer than Washington, DC! Of course, anything unlike the inside of an oven qualifies as cooler than DC, but still – weather here has been so nice: low 80s, sunny. Unfortunately, for a sweater girl like me, that is not warm enough for a tank top, especially if there’s a breeze blowing! I’m rushing to finish the Soleil tank before my trip to Tennessee this weekend. I hear it is still hot there! A pic of its almost-finished state:



This project has been the perfect level of difficulty for me. I sailed through the lace, stumbled a little with the neckline instructions, and was challenged in making suitably neat selvedges. Before I finish, though, I will need to tackle crochet! Yikes. But it’s getting finished this week one way or another.

I imagine you all have read or heard about the utter devastation from Hurricane Katrina. It is heartbreaking to see how families and communities have been torn apart by this disaster. I visited New Orleans last November for the first time. I stayed on St. Charles Street, ate beignets at Café du Monde, and took the trolley out to the Garden District to visit the Garden District Needlework Shop. What a beautiful city. I hope that everyone affected will get to safety and find some comfort, soon.

A view of Decatur Street and St. Louis Cathedral, in happier times:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

littleboxes said...

tank looks great!

Anonymous said...

Soleil looks great -- I hope you get to wear her soon. I'm finding my knitted tanks get a lot of use as a first layer rather than as stand alone garments.