Monday, November 28, 2005

26 Knitting Days Until...

Hi! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. My holiday was a delightful combination of family (my soon-to-be in-laws came to visit), food, Chicago sightseeing and relaxation. I had a great time, but I still wound up feeling like I needed a vacation from my vacation, you know?

Once Thanksgiving had passed, I decided that it was time to begin Christmas preparations in earnest. For me, as for you I imagine - that meant a trip to the yarn store, where I went a little nuts. But it wasn't my fault - the Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb I ordered back in September finally came in, so I had to pick that up,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

even though I was there to get stuff for a shawl for my mom. She has specified a color choice, but not a pattern: camel (if you please), and NOT tan. Luckily Loopy Yarns had just the thing - Berroco Suede in "Rawhide." Giddyup!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The next step is to find a suitable pattern. I was going to do Ella from Knitty, which is so beautiful...but then I remembered that it's almost December and I do still have other projects. So, the Suede will lend itself well to largish needles. Any ideas for patterns or motifs? I am looking for a simple, elegant design that will look good on a rectangle. I tried Old Shale and Feather & Fan, and they just looked lumpy. B. Suede doesn't slide on the needles very easily, and - believe it or not - it's actually pretty splitty. Maybe I could do something with dropped stitches? Not sure. But the clock is a-tickin', so I've got to figure this out soon.

Anyway, I'll check you dudes later. Good luck with all that holiday knitting!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

i'm thinking a nice ladder stitch sweater, maybe w/ a very small kimono sleeve?

maybe a shawl also. maybe check stephanie japel's city shawl or theanticraft.com also has a nice shawl pattern that might work.

littleboxes said...

good luck with your holiday knitting.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your mom is smart. Camel is so much better than tan.

And I don't think I've said anything yet, I really like the new blog design. I liked it before too, but it looks good!

Melissa said...

thanks for the suggestion on the grandma knitting. actually i found a nice pattern on blue sky alpaca today for a scarf. It's knit up in Alpaca/Silk and it sounds yummy to work with!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful color choice in the Lorna's Lace.

Jenna said...

Oooh, that Lorna's Laces looks truly luscious. Can't wait to see what it becomes. I think the Suede would work really well in Glampyre's new city Shawl pattern, which is not only cute but looks like it can be knit up very quickly. Definitely a perfect holiday gift!