Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Be Sweet

While I was away I couldn’t help but stop by an LYS to check out the goods. Every yarn store is different, and sometimes it seems like availability varies by region.

I was lucky enough to find some of the Be Sweet yarn. Have you heard about this stuff? It is handspun and hand dyed by women in South Africa as part of a job creation program in a rural region with a 75% unemployment rate. A portion of your yarn purchase helps support their local school. I love to support efforts like this that serve people's needs, raise awareness and provide a great product all at the same time. I may struggle to be sweet, but I can definitely buy sweet! So this is what I picked:

Image hosting by Photobucket

This is probably my worst blog photo ever, but at least it shows the colors pretty well. I think the colorway is called Heather Mauve. The yarn is boucle baby mohair. So soft!

In other knitting news, I started on my first felted fortune cookie! I have one almost finished and if I am diligent and do laundry tonight (heh heh) I could have post-felting photos tomorrow. We’ll see!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

it's always nice to support the manos, frog tree, and now be sweet's of the world. your getting yarn and giving back - what could be better!

Bonne Marie said...

That is some yummy loops - such luscious color EOOOEW!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yarn link! It's beautiful stuff, and worthwhile, too.

littleboxes said...

very nice colors.

Sherri said...

What a great resource and beautiful yarn. Thanks!

make it real said...

dear sturdygirl,
thanks for the info! i will be on the lookout for Be Sweet yarn!!

peace,
kellz