Saturday, June 10, 2006

Big Post!

BLOG POST PART 1: In which I recap my Mass. trip and stash flash.

I'm back! I had a great time at my college reunion, in spite of myself. Everyone was so happy to see each other that the competitiveness vibe seemed to have worn off...leaving us free to have fun and reminisce about our younger days. As for myself, I had a number of happy reunions with college friends, and a few that left me wistful - and still more that showed me how I've grown as a person since college. I always think that seeing old friends is a time to evaluate where you are in your life, and even more importantly - how authentically you are living your life. Are you still the person your friends once knew? Is that good or bad? Are you living in a way that reflects more or less of who you really are? Big questions...

...on to the yarn. I made it to Webs! In fact, I drove there straight from the airport. Believe it or not, I was not the only person attending my school's reunion who had done exactly that! Webs was all I hoped it would be. Everyone talks about the warehouse, which led me to believe that's what the whole store was like. In fact, it has a beautiful, large "retail" space before you even get to the warehouse part. I think they have just about every brand of yarn there is (except for Rowan). Anyway - you can find any color, any fiber, any weight of yarn in this place. And the friendly staff will help you do it. Here's what I got:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Tahki Willow in a mottled beige-y color, and some Debbie Bliss Wool/Cotton. The Tahki Willow is becoming the Norah Gaughan hooded pullover from VK Spring/Summer 2005. I've already started; this cotton/linen blend makes a beautiful fabric. (here's a closeup.) The DB w/c is for a hat for my little bro. The Tahki was discontinued - combine that with the Webs volume discount and it was a super deal. The DB wool/cotton is also discontinued - a very nice yarn; too bad. I also got some ebony wood circulars - they are so smooth. It's like they're not even wood. And the best part about these is that they are recycled remnants from the manufacture of musical instruments.

BLOG POST PART II: In which the Gauntlet is Thrown.

So I was waiting for an appointment the other day, and decided to knit for a few minutes. The receptionist noticed what I was doing.

Nice Receptionist Lady: What are you making?
Me: A sweater. This is just the back, not too exciting.
NRL: How long do you think it will take you to finish it?
Me (thinking): Maybe about 3 weeks. But it all depends on how much time I spend on it, how busy I am...

We continued chatting. NRL told me how she had tried knitting, but didn't have the patience for it. She went on, "My grandmother did embroidery - oh! she did the most beautiful work! And my aunts, well - they can look at what you're wearing and go and sew something just like it. My daughter crochets, my sister and my nephew both knit; and then there's me." Apparently she's the only person in her close family who doesn't do anything with needles.

So I was listening and talking, but then I was also thinking: how did I come up with a timeframe of three weeks? What went into this calculation by gestalt, as it were? And - could I do it? Would I get bored? Would my hands cramp uncontrollably? Would I have a finished garment by June 30?

You're about to find out.

6 comments:

littleboxes said...

good luck finishing in 3 weeks. We wish you the best and hope your fingers stay fleet.

Saun said...

It good you had fun at your reunion. Funny how those types of things make you evaluate your life.

You definitely found some good buys at webs. I'm sure the 3 weeks was based on your subconscious remember how long it's taken you in the past. It sounds like enough time as long as you don't get bored and more onto something else. Good luck. I can't wait to see it.

make it real said...

dear sturdy girl,
hey, lady!! just stopping by to say hey! j. california already has a new book. have you seen it?

well, i hope all is well in your world.

holla,
kellz

Jenna said...

Uh oh, things are about to get dangerous in Chicago...I'm glad that I'm far away... :P

Melissa said...

ooooh, webs......lucky you!

ah, the most dreded question - how long will it take you. luckily we can fudge things a bit - as long as they don't ask for a blog address. well, that is, if they even know what a blog is!

but your right. if it weren't for all the everyday things that get in the way (ie: work) then of course it would be done in 3 weeks - heck, maybe even 2!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I soooo *heart* ebony needles. I have a few pairs and they're my most prized knitting possession.