Sunday, July 09, 2006

July 8

July 8 was my birthday! And it was indeed a kick-a$$ birthday.

It started on Friday with a surprise delivery of flowers, and Garrett's Caramel Crisp popcorn - my favorite treat and a Chicago tradition!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure on Saturday morning. So relaxing! I now have hot pink toes. Later in the day, my husband and I did something I've always wanted to do: we went to afternoon tea. Check out these treats!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They really did taste as good as they look...wow.

Lest you think the day was over, we had dinner at a great authentic Mexican restaurant called Maiz - they have been written up as having the best margaritas in the city! So being a 'rita lover, I had to check them out. See for yourself:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The food at this place is wonderful - so fresh and flavorful, as well as reasonably priced. We had chicken with mole, and lots of other things whose names escape me now.

A few months ago, I found out that my favorite musical artist was going to be in Chicago on my birthday! So naturally I had to go. Her name is Nanci Griffith - and the fact that she was headlining the Chicago Irish Fest did not stop me from seeing her! (yes, you may chuckle) Actually, the festival thing worked in our favor - the tickets were only $8 for a nearly two-hour performance. Later we waited by her tour bus, in the hopes that we could meet her and get her autograph - I did get her autograph (her manager took my liner notes - and Sharpie - to her on the bus), but didn't get to meet her. Anyway, it was still a special moment!

So that was my day. I'm 31 now! Wee.

No knitting progress, as I keep screwing up the flipping lace. (Flipping as in minor curse word, as well as the maneuver where the lace flips from one side to the other to go up the other half of the sweater's front.) Hopefully I'll get the rhythm going again soon.

Later, y'all! Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Chuckling...(:))

Amanda said...

Tea looked delicious! Is that Green Gable you are wearing? It looks great!

Saun said...

Happy Belated B-day! You definitely had a great time. I think it's sweet that your husband went to afternoon tea with you. I don't know a lot of men that would be cool with that.

Michelle said...

Happy birthday!!

DebbieJRT said...

Happy belated birthday from another Cancer!!

Melissa said...

happy b-day! sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! That sweater looks great on you!

Nik said...

Chicago popcorn is something that I absolutely miss. When I was younger, we used to take the "L" downtown just so that we could buy some popcorn. The bag would be all greasy. We'd have caramel and cheese mixed. One of the malls here just opened a store that sells that style of popcorn.

Just sinful.

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you! You really shine in the orange sweater.