
This season includes colors like magenta, mustard yellow, and shale green. I like magenta, and it's a good color for me - but I'm a little nervous about using it for handknits. (I just ordered this yarn from kpixie.com, but now I'm re-evaluating.) Will it look dated in a short amount of time? Or does this not matter if the color suits you well? I don't want to look like a 'blast from the past'.
Of course, there's always the 'neutrals' route, in order to be sure you are knitting a classic and not something too terribly trendy. I'm not sure how Pantone deals with neutrals, but it seems like they change with the seasons too. So, if I choose a favorite neutral that doesn't seem very popular this year, I might end up with a basic (but maybe boring) wardrobe staple.
How do you decide on colors for your handknits?


7 comments:
If it's an investment piece (something larger than gloves or a scarf), then it never hurts to go with a color that looks good on you whatever is "in." Freshen those basics with seasonal brights, jewelry or accessories.
Hmmm, I have always had fear of color. I wore just beige and brown for many years. Now I am trying to adventurous and choose colors that I like and think are pretty without trying to over-think it too much. I wear handknits for like 20 years, but honestly, if it cruises out of style, just wait 15-20 years, it'll be back. All that 70's crap we thought was so awful by the 80's, it's back. Who knew babydolls would be hot after all the midriffs we saw the last couple of seasons? Oh well, that magenta yarn is gorgeous. And after all, it's only yarn, right? I really like all the colors that Pantone shows for this season.
I don't think Magenta ever really disappears from circulation. I think in the right sweater you will always look fashionable if the color works for you.
The colors that really seem to date are ones that are oddball for most people -- screaming turquoise and combined with mauve or black with bright primary accents both come to mind.
I don't worry so much about which colors are in fashion. I tend to knit & wear whatever looks best on me. That green and yellow would make me look gruesome!
Ooh, nice fall colors! I really like the greens/blues and the pinks/purples. I have a yarn in the stash that perfectly matches that pink.
I am so sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the Chicago email. I will still be in town the last week in August for a conference. It would be great to meet you!
I agree totally with Karen. You can't ever go wrong with just choosing what looks good on you.
I've been thinking about your post since Thursday!! I agree with everyone else -- as Anmiryam said, I think it's combinations of colors that really date garments or rooms or whatever, rather than any one color itself. And that magenta yarn is beautiful, and will be beautiful on you until 2075! I had fun going through the Pantone report -- thank you for that link.
Post a Comment