Saturday, October 06, 2007

No Purling, Just Knitting

Hi, everybody! It's been a while. I've been knitting, just not finishing much of anything. I was all set last weekend to block and sew up Edie, but then I discovered that (ahem) my armholes did not match up. So, I have to redo the top half of the back, and then I should be able to sew it up. I'll be glad to see that project come together - it was essentially my big summer knitting project. Although, given the weather in Chicago - maybe I still have some summer left! It's supposed to be 88 degrees today!

I'm working on another sweater, one that doesn't require very much assembly. I'm making the Hourglass Sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. Somehow I always forget that making a sweater in one piece means no purling! This is hard on my hands - I definitely need the balance of the knit and purl. So - I'll be glad when this one is finished. Here's a progress shot:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm working on the sleeves, since the body is long enough to connect them. Only problem is - can you see it? - there is a slight stripe about a third of the way down. Sigh. I might rip back and cut out the length of yarn that is causing the stripe. The yarn is Pear Tree 8 ply, in the color Grass. The color between skeins has been remarkably consistent, with the exception of the aforementioned stripe. This yarn definitely makes a beautiful garment - kinda pricey, though. But, I don't feel so bad since I first saw it about four months ago, didn't buy it, but then when I saw it again last week I decided I liked it enough to justify the purchase. Sorta sad that waiting only delays my spending on yarn, rather than reducing it. :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

5 comments:

WandaWoman said...

Beautiful color on the Hourglass. That makes me think I might try to make another.

Even though you did still buy the yarn, it wasn't an impulse buy. You did think about it for awhile. I think that's the truer test. Sometimes I buy without thinking and later regret it. And this yarn didn't even have a chance to become stash, so no worries.

Kessa said...

I just ordered some yarn for the hourglass sweater. I plan to cast on as soon as it arrives. I kinda look forward to not much purling since I'm a lot faster at the knit stitch!

Deborah said...

it is amazing what goes on inside a skein of yarn - dye changes, knots, splinters... Makes me want to spin my own, what?? NO, I DID NOT SAY THAT, I WILL NOT LEARN TO SPIN!

Vicki said...

your new sweater looks great! I love working in the round.

Melissa said...

the pear tree stuff is nice isn't it! i haven't made anything with it yet, but picked up some for swatching a little bit back.

and i hear you with the weather, it just cooled down here in nyc, it had been in the high 80's/low 90's!