Today was all about me! I had a great day being on my own schedule, doing what I wanted to do for as long as I felt like. The best thing I did today was go to the Marimekko exhibit at Illinois Institute of Technology. There was a brief period in my life in high school when I wanted to be a textile designer – so this was a great thrill for me.
I knew a little about Marimekko, but I learned a lot at the exhibit. The vision guiding the company came from a woman, Armi Ratia. In 1949, her husband bought a company called Printex that made plain old cotton fabric. In order to help market the product, she hired young designers to design new prints for the fabric and make a small collection of clothing from them. Beginning with a 1951 fashion show of these designs, Marimekko was born.
I’m no historian – so go here to read more about Marimekko’s history. Unfortunately, the exhibit doesn’t have a catalog – so that’s the best I can do. For Chicago folks (or visitors! come visit!) - the exhibit will be open until July 28.
I've made a set on Flickr of some of my favorite images from the exhibit. Enjoy the feast of color!
Up next in 'day of me' day activities: Tivo'd episodes of Knitty Gritty.
Saturday, July 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Thanks for the heads-up on the exhibit! I enjoyed your photos and would like to go see it for myself, too. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the Day of You!
Thanks for the Marimekko photos. I've been meaning to go, but haven't had a chance yet. The hooded pullover is looking great.
Post a Comment