Sunday, November 19, 2006

Breaking Radio Silence

Hi all,

I've been away for a while. I've been knitting quite a lot...but this last week at work was a total bear. My bloglines has tons of new posts to read. I feel like I am limping toward Thanksgiving.

Anyway, at long last, I have pictures of the gold & leafy sweater. Here's the hanger shot:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And the being worn, headless shot:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The yarn is Cascade 128 Tweed in the color Maize. (the color in the first picture is pretty accurate.) I highly recommend this yarn. It's really soft and sproingy, and a great value (at least where I purchased it, Loopy Yarns).

I was worried about the neckline, since I didn't plan out the decreases very carefully. But it turned out fine! I just cast off each piece, picked up stitches and knit one row, and then bound off.

So, there you have it. I'm working on another sweater too, a top-down cardigan. I have to admit - the lack of seams is intoxicating! It seems like my progress is super-fast with this method, and it seems to use less yarn. Is this true? Anyway - I was going to try to use a different color for the neckline, hem and button bands, but then I chickened out. Maybe on my second cardi - I've actually never done a buttonband before.

This reminds me of a knitting realization I recently had: The two most difficult things I've tried to knit are both unfinished. They rank high in difficulty (for me) because one is my first two-color project (the felted bag), and the other is the Norah Gaughan hoodie with the lace border. Do you have this problem too? Or, when you're working on a challenging project, do you just plow through until you're finished? I know knitting is supposed to be fun, and it is. But I can't help but feel like I should try to push myself more.

Anyway, catch up with you later! Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the holiday.

8 comments:

Trope said...

I guess I can break radio silence too, then...

Of my difficult projects (there have only been a few) I just plowed through on the one, because it ate my brain and I just couldn't consider working on something else. I guess it was just far enough out of my comfort zone to keep me interested. One was an endurance project, and I just kind of closed my mind to how much I had left to do until I was done. The most recent (a lace shawl) I can't seem to get any momentum on; I whine, I lose my stitch markers, I find excuses to leave it at home. I even left my only copies of the pattern at a coffee shop last week, and thus couldn't work on it until I tracked the pattern down and went to pick it up. I guess I'm just not mentally ready for it yet.

But, y'know, if they're not on a deadline, and you just don't feel like it, let them marinate awhile. You might pick them up in a few months and suddenly decide they're not as difficult as all that.

Trope said...

PS two-color projects (even dishrags) always take longer for me because I have to schlep around the two balls of yarn, and pull back rows when I forget to carry the color correctly, and blah blah blah... so I don't pick them up as often. Ditto lace patterns, where I just can't seem to memorize the repeat and have to carry around the ratty photocopy. So perhaps it's the accoutrements (sp?) that are dragging you? Anyway, on those particular projects, I can relate.

TK said...

Your sweater is beautiful!

Most times I plow on, except when it comes to lace. Turns out I can't make lace, so I finally frogged the couple inches I'd done and put the ball of very tiny yarn away for good. I'm no good at buttonbands, but I just plow through those.

jacqui said...

Your sweater is beautiful! I am loving knitting in the round too. It does seem to fly and no seaming, gotta love that. On tricky projects, I'm trying a new thing - leaving small mistakes in the work. Pretty radical, huh? Definitely takes some getting used to!

Bonne Marie said...

OOOHLALa! Let me say, your sweater is gorgeous - looks good online AND in person. BRAVA!

Nik said...

I do love that sweater, and the color is beautiful with your skin.

Deborah said...

love the leaves, very nice seasonal project.

Sheila said...

Your gold & leaf sweater is totally beautiful.. loving the leaf design and the color was a good choice... Its a color I will be adding to my list.